PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

No 24 hours. Every hard stomach and signs of discomfort.

Customer Question

No bm for over 24 hours. Every hard stomach and signs of discomfort. Yelps when I puck her up.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Caddy age 11 this month.
JA: How old is Caddy?
Customer: 11 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Caddy?
Customer: Not drinking water. Not interested in treats.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Has been fed pumpkin.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When did this begin? 2) What breed is she?3) Is she still eating and drinking? 4) Any past history of injury? 5) Is she active now or has her activity slowed?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Small signs last week.
Long haired dachshund.
3. Has already been answered if you read the previous answers. If not is this real?
No injury.
Prefers to lay around under my bed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I paid to talk to a vet. Or maybe I should cxl.
If you'd like, I can opt out and see if someone else is available to take your question. Let me know if that's what you'd prefer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will stay with you. I have concerns. Caddy is eating pumpkin, boiled chicken and a drizzle of probiotics yogurt.
It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.I'll be right back.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Very tiny serving of chicken. Just enough to strike interest.
It sounds like Caddy is showing classic signs of an affliction that we commonly see in dachshunds called Intervertebral Disk Disease.There's more information here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_intervertebral_disc_diseaseIVDD symptoms can range from mild back pain and spasms to complete paralysis of the hind legs. The tense stomach, pickiness with her food, the tenderness when she's picked up, etc. all suggest that she's battling back problems. The best approach to this is to have her examined. Your vet will want to do a full neurological exam on her and likely also perform some x-rays on her spine. They will then likely recommend cage rest for the next week or so, along with canine-safe NSAIDs, pain meds and muscle relaxers. Depending on what is found on the exam, your vet may also refer you over to a specialist who can perform more in-depth diagnostics to determine the severity of her condition. To help with her pain when being picked up, there's an instructional video here on how to avoid further harm to their back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y91s2SqOKYE Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please address bm. Or the lack of a bm.
Because of the discomfort in her back, she's likely either holding it until she absolutely must go or she may be having problems regulating when she needs to defecate. Both can happen with dogs who have back pain, although the latter is more common in dogs with advanced symptoms of IVDD. If she's had any decrease her in food intake, this may also be causing part of the concern as it will slow her BM production. When your vet takes x-rays, they will be able to tell you what is causing this concern as they can tell where in her intestines the stool is present and whether or not she actually needs to go. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.