How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ann M. Your Own Question
Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 3907
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Ann M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We got a 10 week old puppy first Jan. First Vet visit we were

Customer Question

We got a 10 week old puppy first Jan. First Vet visit we were told he had ear infection. After several antibiotic treatments and rinses, and office tests we did culture to find Ecoli & Strep. Been treating every two weeks since Jan 11- just found out today it's down inside eardrum and they're trying steroids, antibiotic and two findings a day. They say next step is surgery to remove that deep. Rescue puppy $80 Vet bills 2k. He is now 6 months old. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 5 months ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. Surgery to remove what? You said surgery to remove "that deep". Which medications is your dog currently on? Have you taken the dog to another vet for a second opinion yet?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They said from start he was too young to give normal meds that would get rid of this. They pack the ear with antibiotic that takes two weeks til next appt. thus morning they gave steroids and oral antibiotic with a rinse aid medication. Unsure of names right now. They said if this didn't work they would have to put him under go into ear drum to try to get to root of infection.
Expert:  Ann M. replied 5 months ago.
Hmm... too young for the normal meds that would get rid of this? That sounds odd. I would get a second opinion and get this dog on some daily topical ear medications. I would be surprised if this was truly an inner ear infection, but you never know. Take the results of the culture with you when you go. Good luck... I have a feeling you will get some answers from the second vet, and I would NOT be inclined to pursue surgery without getting a second opinion first. I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We've done topical ear medications the first two months daily - the infection only got worse - we've made appointments for second opinion they said original vet doing what they would do
Expert:  Ann M. replied 5 months ago.
Can you attach the culture results for me to take a look, and list the medications that you are currently giving? Even if it takes you a day or two to compile this stuff, I am here.

Related Dog Questions