PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our dog came in fro0nt outside last night and my son said he

Customer Question

our dog came in fro0nt outside last night and my son said he looked sad. He slept all night in my sons room and this am when I went to wake him for school cooper was still laying on floor. I said cmon cooper it's time to get up and he laid there. finally he got up and barely walked into living room sat down and cant move. he's drinking water and had a cookie.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: cooper between 10-12 myears mold
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: he pants a lot but thTS IT
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Has Cooper been diagnosed with any medical concerns during his lifetime? 2) On any medications? 3) When was blood work last performed?4) Have x-rays ever been taken of his hips? 5) Does he still run and play?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we found cooper and he was running and playing up until yesterday
How long have you had him?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We had him checked by a vet when we found him a year or so ago and all was wel
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
The fact that Cooper pants a lot and he's now having difficulty getting up and moving around sounds very much like he's having problems with arthritis, which is expected given his age. If he was up and playing until recently, he may have overdone it and be experiencing quite a bit of discomfort.I would recommend scheduling an exam for him where your vet can take a look at his hips and prescribe canine-safe NSAIDs like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Meloxicam, etc. Your vet may also recommend starting him on a glucosamine supplement for joint health. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Checking in to see how Cooper is feeling.