Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My 3 year old rescue dog ate a bagel right out of our shopping

Customer Question

my 3 year old rescue dog ate a bagel right out of our shopping bag. Should I take him to an emergency care facility?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bailey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: no, overall a healthy dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. What kind of bagel was it?
I was hoping to get a response back but don't want you to worry if you don't have to. For the most part one bagel won't hurt your dog unless it was a raisen bagel and then the raisens might cause problems. Raisin and grapes are bad for dogs. And dogs that have consumed large quantities of grapes have developed kidney failure. Here is a link to a site, which talks about this. The ASPCA study showed that as little as .15-.32 ounces per pound could have a toxic response. You can read more on this here: Treatment is frequently I.V. fluids at 1 ½ times the maintenance amount and monitoring the kidney values for a few days. Onions and garlic are also toxic to dogs thought he amount in a bagel is unlikely to cause more than some stomach upset at worse. However, it is cummulative over a few days so several ingestions in a row might cause issues. They don't recommend feeding bagels or bread because it can swell up in the stomach and contribute to a condition called bloat which can be dangerous. I would recommend withholding food and water for the night and keep him inactive tonight. In the morning you can start him off with water and a small portion of food. Watch for excessive vomiting or diarrhea. He may have a little, but more than just a little would be cause for alarm. I think he is probably going to be fine. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?