Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog is a year old - about 9 lbs. she started with diarrhea

Customer Question

My dog is a year old - about 9 lbs. she started with diarrhea a couple hours ago- ( about 4 times since since 5 o'clock. She pucked up once and has been drooling.. She just wants to cuddle and lay down
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Snowflake
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snowflake?
Customer: My mom told me to give her some rice to help belly but she puked that up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Snowflake who is unwell this evening. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Snowflake this evening and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything Snowflake could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this diarrhea and vomiting continue, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight. For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet. For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid Best of luck with Snowflake and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, How is Snowflake doing now? Did you need to take her along to your local ER vet in the end?It would be great to get an update when you get a chance. Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc