Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 13 yr, as of February 12th 2016, is having gasping periods

Customer Question

My 13 yr, as of February 12th 2016, is having gasping periods that come and go. Is this any situation to be concerned with. It seems to occur after long walks in neighborhood.. Maybe allergy .
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Recently had nails cut by veterinarian and health exam.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No though regular vet retired and new vet has a good length of experience with Sheltie's.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How old is your Sheltie? 2) Any history of cardiac or respiratory issues? 3) What state do you live in? 4) Is your companion on any heart worm prevention? If so, what and how many months out of the year is it used? 5) Any fainting or dizziness episodes? 6) Is it only on walks that you see this? 7) Do you have a video showing what you're seeing?