Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog was hit by a car a month ago. The vet originally thought

Customer Question

My dog was hit by a car a month ago. The vet originally thought he fractured a bone in his leg. After his most recent X-ray, they think that maybe he didn't break anything but actually tore a ligament. They took off the cast and wrapped his leg instead. That was two days ago. He'd been doing okay but now his foot is noticeably swollen. Of course it's Sunday and the vets office isn't open. Should I take off the bandage and rewrap it not as tight? Should I give him anything? I have a bottle of novox left over from when he first injured it. Mostly, will he be okay to wait until the vet opens tomorrow before something is done??
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Laura. Thanks for your question. 1) Do yo happen to have any pictures to share of the swelling?2) On any meds now?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not home now so I can't take a picture now but maybe this will help. His middle two toe nails were practically touching. This morning, they were spread about 1/2 inch apart. My husband did give him a dose of novox. The swelling had gone down some after that. He's on no other meds right now.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was still swollen though. Just not as bad.
The novox won't hurt, so long as it was a size-appropriate dose. I'm glad to hear that the swelling as somewhat reduced. He should be fine to wait until your vet opens, but my concern is whether or not the swelling is too much for the bandage. Can you send a picture along when you are able? Typically we want to leave a leg wrapped, but if a limb swells to the point of strangulation then the bandage must come off.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will certainly do that once I get home. Will probably be about an hour or so. Thank you!!!
No problem. I'll try to be around when the picture comes through. If you don't hear back from me in 5 minutes following the picture posting, assume that I'm offline and working to get back to assist you.