Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My male maltese was desexed in febuary today I seen he is

Customer Question

hi my male maltese was desexed in febuary today I seen he is red where he got stitched has he got a infection
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. ICould you post a picture of the area for a visual?Is he licking the area?Is there any oozing at the suture line?Does he seem to feel ok ie playing, eating, drinking passing stool and urine?Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes hes eating an drinking an playing he wont let me touch that area though cant see any oozing
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
The suture line should be well healed by now as that is about 6 weeks. That is why I requested a picture. It sounds like the area may be irritated. Possibly from a bug bite or something else. If he would allow you to touch the area you could apply some cool water or a topical first aid cream. If all seems normal, I would monitor it. If an infection he would most likely have a temperature and be lethargic and not wanting to eat. I do not see this as needing an emergency visit. I do suggest as you monitor him, if it gets really red or hot to have him into the ER Vet. If it is just pink and not oozing then you most likely can wait for a Vet visit until monday. It is not unusual for a bug bite to get a bit inflamed.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
How is the dog doing? I wanted to check in with you on the suture line.Joan