Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

She delivered three Eng springer spaniels early this am. From

Customer Question

She delivered three Eng springer spaniels early this am. From 12 am. - 2:30. She still looks like there may be more. Puppies are good. Eating well. Mom is not in distress but she looks like she has more inside. I was just watching. I fed her some vanilla ice cream. I read that helps. It's been 12 hrs. Read sometimes it can go to 24 hrs. Again she is calm and feeding pups and resting.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the springer spaniel?
Customer: Wanted to know if it seems normal to wait between deliveries
JA: Where does the springer spaniel seem to hurt?
Customer: No. She is calm
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: I cannot. She just still looks fat
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the springer spaniel's name?
Customer: Emma
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emma?
Customer: Her first litter. She is taking care of the first three pups well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. I've been breeding for much longer than that. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. A dog's uterus is like a Y with the pups in the upper two forks. A dog delivers one side first and then the other side. As a result, it is not unusual for there to be a lull once one side has been delivered as the pups from the other side are moved down into the lower portion of the uterus to be delivered. I've had lulls of up to 2 hours before. Normally we do tell clients to take their dog to the vet if it has been more than an hour since a pup has been born and you know their are still pups in her. However, in a case like this if she is calm and taking care of her pups, I'd give her a little time. Usually when a pup is retained, a dog does not act normal. They may appear restless, distressed, actively straining, lethargic, non-interested in their pups. However, if your dog is eating, drinking, urinating, nursing her puppies, cleaning them and basically acting normal, she has most likely delivered all her puppies. The normal litter size varies greatly from 4 to 10 pups. I'd be inclined to think she still has a few more and would likely give her another 30 minutes or so before calling your vet to see if he'd take a quick look. It's a good idea to take her and the pups in anyway for a post whelping checkup to ensure all placentas were delivered as well. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?