PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Pearl. I have a 16week old boxer that just got done taking

Customer Question

Hello pearl. I have a 16week old boxer that just got done taking antibiotics for a uti. The day after her last dose she seems lathargic. It's been 2 days and she seems the same way. Sleepy. Walking with head Dow runny nose. But she is eating and drinking
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lily
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?
Customer: She has always been real snorty
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion? 1) How many puppy vaccines has Lily had? Were they administered by a veterinarian?2) Has Lily been boarded, groomed, gone to doggie day care, or the dog park in the last 21 days?3) What antibiotic was given?4) What medications are being given at this time?5) Is Lily still eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2 puppy vac yes by vet. Never been to dog park or anything else. Not sure what the antibiotic was but she was playing and being herself when she was on it No medications given. She ate this morning
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry she is 13 weeks
Thanks for the additional information. I apologize for the delay, there was a problem with the site loading your question. It would not hurt to try some antihistamines to see if this may be allergy related. A dog her age can safely take 1-2mg of benadryl per pound of body weight. This should help her within a few hours and you should see a resolution of the runny nose. The snorty noises are common from the Boxer breed, but we do want to be sure that the runny nose is not a sign of something more concerning, too. If she does not improve on the benadryl, I would schedule to see your vet on Monday. There is always the concern that a puppy this young could have contracted an upper respiratory infection or virus, distemper, etc. More info here: and here: Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.