Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate onions last night. Not sure how much. JA: IÂ'm

Customer Question

My dog ate onions last night. Not sure how much.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Two cocker spaniels. Not sure who ate what and how much
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cocker spaniel?
Customer: Both are 8 between 20 and 30 lbs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How are they just now?Any appetite loss, drooling, or vomiting?What color are their gums?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No vomiting or loss of appetite. Ate breakfast this morning
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gums are pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,Now without knowing how much each dog had, we do need to tread with care and plan to monitor over the next week. The reason we need to watch them for this long is because while mild onion toxicity can cause GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea), higher doses can lead to anemia by rupturing the red blood cells. And that can take a week to appear; though when it does we can see paling of the gums, changes in breathing, weakness and lethargy. Though I would note that if they haven't any GI signs yet, there is a good chance that neither had enough to cause problems. Still, with this all in mind and since we are past a point where we can block absorption, we’d want to start supportive care. To offset GI upset, we’d want to consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if either dog has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Finally, any paling of the gums (it’s a good ideal to check now as a baseline and then check daily) or those other signs over the next week; then we’d need him to his vet to check their blood levels and start treatment to flush out the lingering toxin. Though again since both dogs are normal at this point we would hope that we won't see any of these adverse issues from the onion. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
How is everything going for your wee ones?Dr. B.