Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog has had pink eye last 3 days. And also a cold

Customer Question

My dog has had pink eye for the last 3 days. And also a cold , I think. I am getting over a cold and don't have money to take her. She is not eating or drinking very much. A friend told me u could give the dog azithromicin. I had some from the doc. I gave her a 250mg pill yesterday morning and one today. Then I looked online that they should only be taking 5 to 10 mg.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: I know I should have taken her to the vet but I have been broke so couldn't Harley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible......How old is your dog?Is she up to date on vaccines?Is she spayed?What makes you think that she has a cold?Is she having diarrhea or vomiting?Is she urinating/defecating normally?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My dog is 8 months, she is up to date on her vaccines. Weight is about 40 lbs . was planning on getting her spayed on Tuesday. Her nose is dry, she has discharge from her eye, she is hot to the touch, but has the shakes. She does not have diarrhea, actually had only pooped once in the last 2 days. She is urinating normally
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I wanted to know if because I gave her such a high dose both days if it is toxic to her
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
Did you only give her 1 tablet each day?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes mam 250 mg
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.Okay. So the good news is that you were actually reading things incorrectly on whatever site you were on. The actual dose for a dog is between 2.5 - 5mg/pound given once or twice a day.That means a 40 pound dog could have up to 200mgs twice a day for a severe infection. Since you only gave her 250mg each day, there's nothing to worry about. Most antibiotics have a really wide safety margin anyway, meaning that the amount you have to give for a toxic overdose is pretty high, so even if she had gotten a little more, I wouldn't be worried.There's more information on it here: being most antibiotics, it can and usually does, cause digestive upset in makes them nauseated, and can make them constipated....which could explain why she's not really wanting to eat and is not really defecating normally, so I'd not give her any more.Most ocular (eye) infections in dogs are treated with a topical medication anyway, rather than with an oral antibiotic, so there's no point in giving her any more of the pills. You should, however, give your vet a call tomorrow and ask if they want to peek at her before the spay. If her eyes are infected, they may want to hold off, just so they don't stress out her immune system.I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I have her the pill after I saw that she looked sick. She has she is walking around slow and panting . and just wanting to sleep. I just thought she had a cold/ flu so that's why I gave it to her.
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
I completely understand....however, dogs don't get the same viruses/infections that we get, so it's pretty unlikely that she caught the cold/flu that you had. I'd just stop giving the medication now and she should feel better soon.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Is there anything I can do to get her to eat and drink?
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
The nausea should subside now that you're not giving the medication anymore, but you can offer her something a little special.....a piece of bread with a very thin layer of peanut butter....or some pieces of hot dog, cheese, her favorite treats....whatever.
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?