PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I came home after work and noticed my dog had up a

Customer Question

Hi I came home after work and noticed my dog had spit up a bit and was shivering like he was cold:( I tried to give him a treat and he didn't take it!! I noticed his nose is dry!! He's laying down stop shivering but I'm very worried and need to know if I should take him to the emergency!! Thank you so much his age is 10:(
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No he's been really good I even came home 4 hours ago to walk him and he was fine :( he has had kindney stones removed 8 months ago but is on a better diet!!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Thank you so much I really appreciate you!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Any blood in the vomit? 2) Are you seeing any diarrhea? 3) Any history of a diet change, new treats or giving people food? 4) Any history of GI upsets like pancreatitis?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No blood or diarrhea... He still has the shivers abit:( and didn't want to go for his walk he's laying right next to me... Should I take him to the emergency he's still panting on and off :(
It wouldn't hurt to take him to the ER this evening if you are concerned. To me, it sounds like he has an upset stomach. The trembling you're seeing is often a sign of discomfort, as well as the panting. There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours.If you have other questions, let me know. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.