Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

I have an 8 yr d female yellow lab that is a tad overweight

Customer Question

I have an 8 yr d female yellow lab that is a tad overweight from being stuck inside most of the winter. The last few days she's been vomiting a few times a day, clear slimy liquid. More frequent after drinking water this evening, I'd say the last time she did just now was close to a gallon of liquid, and she hadn't drank that much before hand. She's pretty slow and sluggish tonight, and after we let her out to hopefully finish the vomitting, she lays right down on her side sprawled out w her head on the ground, and when she's breathing she's got almost a studder in her inhale, 2 short in followed by one breath out. Any ideas or suggestions!?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Her gums are a very faint pale pink color
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
JACustomer, thanks for your question this evening. Do you have a video showing what she's doing with the breathing?
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am Dr Ola and I am a licensed veterinarian. Based on your description, I do strongly recommend that you do take her to a 24 hour emergency hospital right away. Symptoms of progressively worsening vomiting with severe lethargy and pale mucous membranes is considered a medical emergency that should not wait until morning. Possible conditions included an gastrointestinal obstruction of foreign body, abdominal mass, acute pancreatitis, metabolic disease or toxin exposure. She needs to be placed on intravenous fluid therapy right away and have medications to stop HDR vomiting. While her condition stabilizes, the emergency clinic can do more diagnostic tests to determine the origin of her problem and give you more answers.
I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you have other questions and I will be happy to assist you. Also, please remember to rate my answer as your rating is the only feedback and means of compensation that I can receive. I hope your sweet girl is feeling better very soon.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She doesn't seem to be doing the breathing thing now but she keeps wanting to drink. Should I let her if she's only throwing it right back up? I don't have a vehicle to get her anywhere until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. I put her dishes up, but I'm not sure if she's eaten much more than dinner scraps for the last few days. There has been a few pieces of dog food in the vomit puddles but not much.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So perhaps the breathing studder was just her trying to relax again after the straining from the vomiting? Like a person may have? She isn't coughing or gagging, like you don't know it's even happening until you hear the sudden splash of the fluid rush out
Her vomiting does really concern me... maybe a neighbor or friend can drive you? If not, stay with her and monitor her closely; don't allow her any food for 24 hrs but definitely allow her drink to help her with her hydration. If you have any fluids with electrolytes (such as Pedialyte, Gatorade) add it in her water supply. Keep her warm and in an area where she can be propped up.. If she is laying down when she vomits, it runs the risk of aspirating in her lungs which can problems including pneumonia..so the more she sits up the better..
Hello, I am just checking in to see how your dog is feeling today? Let me know if I can assist further..