Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My daughter showed me a picture of our dogs stool, and there

Customer Question

My daughter showed me a picture of our dogs stool, and there was some blotches of red in it, concerned
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She has been fussy about her feeding and just this morning she vomited clear liquid
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not we know of, we just picked her on Wednesday from doarding.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
The hematochezia (blood in the stool) is almost always due to a colitis and because your dog had been boarded recently, an infectious colitis - bacterial or viral - is most likely. Thankfully, this is expected to be transient and likely to remiss unaided within 72 hours. If not, her vet can prescribe an antibiotic such as metronidazole which is an antibiotic of choice for the usual Clostridial bacteria contracted where groups of dogs congregate. I wouldn't alter her diet at this time but it would be prudent to fast her for 12 hours after her last vomiting episode in order to rest her GI tract. Water should be left down unless drinking induces more vomiting at which time ice cubes should replace her water.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.