PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My husky just had TPLO. She spent the night at the vet and

Customer Question

My husky just had TPLO. She spent the night at the vet and I picked her up about an hour ago. She is just whining non stop. I gave her another pain pill so she would settle down in the crate. She is finally seeming to rest. Anything o can do but sit here by her?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. How old is Just?
Customer: She is 8- her name is Maya.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Name?
Customer: No, i just worry about the whining. I got her a donut cause she couldn't take the cone
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) What pain medication was prescribed for her? 2) How long ago was the medication given?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is on tramadol. I just gave her one and 1/2 a carprofen
Tramadol can take a few hours before the full benefit of the medication is seen. It may be of some comfort to her to receive extra padding in her kennel to cushion the surgery site. You can also rotate cool and warm packs on and off at her knee to help reduce the swelling and discomfort. You can wrap a frozen bag of peas in a dish towel and apply it gently and can warm a sock filled with rice (and tied) for 1-2 minutes in the microwave, wrap in a dish towel and apply. Make sure to check these every few minutes. The site should be warm or cool, but not HOT or COLD. You don't want to reach an extreme temperature and possibly cause more damage. Within 2 hours, she should be greatly benefiting from the tramadol. Make sure to keep her on the exact dosing schedule as prescribed or you may be unable to get 'ahead' of her pain when she starts to hurt. Most dogs begin to do much better once you've hit the 2-3 day mark post-op. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy