Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Dr. K by 18 pound Sheba e-news just ate approximately

Customer Question

Hello Dr. K by 18 pound Sheba e-news just ate approximately 1000 mg of ranitidine in addition to about 2000 or more milligrams Of Gas-X and Lactaid! How concerned should I be?? Thank you so much for your help! Shiba Inu**
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry, my name is Dallas
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today Now the good news is that Dallas has chosen some quite safe items to get into. The lactaid is no worry and while both doses of those other two are very high for a dog her size, they aren't likely to carry any seriously harmful effects. If anything, we could see bloating/gas, nausea, appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea and drowsiness. With this all in mind and since the Ranitidine will likely make getting her to vomit them back up an issue, we can treat Dallas with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the dose she absorbs. Otherwise, we'd just want to monitor her. If she shows those above signs and is struggling with them, then we'd want to have a check with her vet as she may need IV fluids to support her and flush these out quicker. Though if she is comfortable at home you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Overall, there are no reports of serious adverse effects from an of these at high doses. Therefore, we'd want to treat with activated charcoal since she has had so much; but can monitor her for the next 48 hours +/- have her vet start fluids should she show any of those signs. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?