PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Ogden, I came home tonight and my dog had thrown

Customer Question

***** ***** Ogden, I came home tonight and my dog had thrown up an oily brown substance and than I found another pile of throw up that was a dark greenish black color. she is lethargic, although she has eaten dinner and her guns are pink
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She jumped the fence this morning and must have gotten into something. She met me at the door when I came home and ate but is not her usual self. She liked 2 times once an oily substance and again a dark green substance almost black it smells like rotten dirt.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jill. Thanks for your question. I can give you some instructions on how to calm her stomach at home, but I am very concerned that she may have eaten something that is toxic to her. I worry about oil and fertilizer when a oily brown substance is described and also the smell of rotten dirt. I would highly recommend a visit to the ER this evening, if you can make the trip. Failing this, I would approach this like a GI upset with the following instructions. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours. Because we don't know what was eaten, blood work would be ideal and monitoring. The vet might also want to give activated charcoal to hopefully bind to whatever is in her GI tract and keep her from absorbing it. If you have other questions, let me know. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.