PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My daughters dog got out today and when they found her she

Customer Question

My daughters dog got out today and when they found her she was not acting right very week and just wanted to lay and about 15 mins or so later she was Throwing up and now she's drooling and pooping blood like water. And her jaws are kinclinched. If she drinks or eats she throws it up. She is still waging her tale when she sees you or if you talk to her. But if you lift her legs and let go she just let's them fall to the floor
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Lorina. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's companion. I am working on a reply for you that will take me about 5 minutes to type out. Feel free to wait, if you'd like. I'll be right back.
I am very concerned by her symptoms that something could be very wrong. We must always worry about toxic ingestions and being hit by a car when a dog excretes blood in their stool. Due to those symptoms being coupled with persistent vomiting, drooling and weakness, I think the approach that will yield the best results for her in the long run would be to visit a veterinarian immediately. While she is still happy currently, these symptoms can quickly disable and even kill a dog. Failing this, you can certainly try to give medication for the nausea at home. If vomiting persist, this will necessitate a veterinary visit where they can give injectable medications like Cerenia that cannot be eliminated from the body by vomiting. As well, a bland diet may help her if the bloody stool continues. The instructions are below:Administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.​Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Hi Lorina Driggers,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?