Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 2 or 3 year old rescue dog was laser neutered before i got

Customer Question

My 2 or 3 year old rescue dog was laser neutered before i got him. He had several very painful full erections spontaneously, not after paying with the other dogs. I suspected an undescended testicle was the problem and my extremely competent vet "opened him up" and did a very thorough examination of his innards, found nothing wrong. He still gets the erections and they cause him great distress, it happens about once a week. do you have any advice on how to proceed? I am willing to pay for expensive surgery if necessaryy
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two? When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: No, that pretty well describes the situation except I live in rural Arkansas, but my vet is as i said extremely competent and i am sure would be willing to do a procedure or re3fer if necessary. I plan to make an appt next week
y
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.How long ago was he neutered?What breed is he?Can you explain how he shows his distress?Any problems urinating at all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He appears to be partly retriever. He was probably neutered about 18 months age. He shows his distress bywhining ank pacing around in circles. No observed problems in urinating
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
How long do these erections seem to last?Has he become more distressed as time has gone on?When he's acting upset, what do you do?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They last about 30 minutes. He has maintained the same distress level but it is high. I have tried applying cold compresses to the erection...desparation...but nothing helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
So if you do absolutely nothing, do they go away on their own?