Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 3 yr old Sheltie is coughing and sometimes yellow bile comes

Customer Question

My 3 yr old Sheltie is coughing and sometimes yellow bile comes up. On going off and on problem. No change in diet - no bones - eating ok - exercising.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sounds like she is trying to cough up something. Dry hacking and then sometimes actually throws up yellow fluid. Could it be cat hair? She plays with our Balenese cat. Doesn't appear to be allergies because she does this off and on throughout the year.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....Does this seem to happen at any specific time of the day?Does she have any change in appetite or anything?Does it look a little like this but with a big gag and yellow bile at the end:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it. Obviously it's hard to know for sure what's going on, however, if it looks like that video, then it could very well be that she's got something called tracheal collapse...which is actually pretty common in small dogs. I have a maltese cross who has it and has an attack a couple times a week for years with no problems. This can be a chronic, degenerative issue that could impact the health of the dog. You can find more information on this particular issue here ( and although this is an article about small breeds, there are large breeds with this issue as well): The other thing I was thinking was the possibility of this being some kind of cardiac cough. Dogs get congestive heart failure (also known as CHF) just like humans. This is when the heart doesn't pump as effectively as it should, which causes fluid to build up in the lungs, making the dog cough. Since you said it looks like the video, I feel pretty confident that it's not CHF, but it bears mentioning anyway...just to be safe. Tracheal collapse is normally treated with a cough suppressant and steroids, so it might not be a bad idea to have her vet take a peek at her, just to err on the side of caution, but often vets won't treat until the episodes begin to have an impact on their health. There's another good site that goes over treatment options here: I hope this helps!!