Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate some diuretic pills JA: Thanks. Can you give

Customer Question

My dog ate some diuretic pills
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm not sure if she ingested a whole pill but there was quite a few leaking fluid.. 50mg
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What type of diuretic were they? Lasix/Furosemide?How long ago did she eat it?What signs are you seeing just now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A few hours ago and no real symptoms
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Good, I am glad that you aren't seeing any. Can you confirm it was Furosemide? How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't I'm not sure. She's small Maybr 7 lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** a shame you cannot since there are a range of different diuretics that carry different strength of effects on the body. Still, if it has been a few hours already and she is only leaking, then her signs are mild and we may be able to just monitor her through this. In any case, if it has been a few hours, we have a few options. To start, despite being past a point where we can induce vomiting, we can still use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce how much of the drug she absorbs. Otherwise, we'd need to plan to keep a close eye on her for the next 24 hours. Diuretics will increase thirst and urination. So, we will need to forgive the leaking and any accidents since her bladder won't be used to the volume she is about to pass. If she is wetting in the house, you may want to keep her in a non-carpeted room. Otherwise, we need to make sure she keeps drinking and takes in water to balance that loss. This is because as a 15mg/kg dose, there is a chance this could imbalance her circulation and cause a drop in her blood pressure (which could lead to fainting, weakness, wobbliness, and collapse).As well, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her. Overall, diuretic ingestion doesn't tend to cause lasting harm but can cause the above signs for our dogs when they overdose themselves. Therefore, we'd want to keep a close eye and encourage her to drink for the next 24 hours. If she is normal throughout, then we can breathe a sigh of relief; but any of those blood pressure signs and we'd need to have her to her vet for IV fluid support to keep that up and flush the drug out. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )