Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 6 month old Australian Shepard who goes everywhere

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old Australian Shepard who goes everywhere with me and is usually ready to go and drinks like a camel he has been raised witht grandson puppy who recently passed from a snake bite. My dog has no signs of bites but has recently quit eating and drinks water but when he drinks to much he throws up, he loves to chew things up and when he threw up once there was a piece of tree bark in it. He has been crying alot, but perks up some when my grandkids come around.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: YouI have a 6 month old Australian Shepard who goes everywhere with me and is usually ready to go and drinks like a camel he has been raised witht grandson puppy who recently passed from a snake bite. My dog has no signs of bites but has recently quit eating and drinks water but when he drinks to much he throws up, he loves to chew things up and when he threw up once there was a piece of tree bark in it. He has been crying alot, but perks up some when my grandkids come around.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has he had these signs? How long ago did he bring up the bark?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Has he had any diarrhea or black stool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started Monday, gums are pink, let's me rub his belly, no black stool or diareah we live in the country so very possible he could have gotten into a chemical and threw tree bark up Monday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gums are a little sticky
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** this has been going on for most of the week, we need to tread with care. This is because all of his signs are highly suspicious of severe nausea. And it will be the same nausea that caused his vomiting that will now be putting him off food. As well, if those gums are getting sticky, it is an early stage sign of dehydration creeping in. Now in regards ***** ***** for this, we'd be most concerned about a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items, more bark). With this all in mind, as long as he can keep a bit of water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid),Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk).There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen,I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. Since dehydration is a real risk for a lad this young, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there area few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often the dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the nausea induced anorexia and vomiting we are seeing. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )