Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Chocking and coughing up thick white foam, been to vet they

Customer Question

chocking and coughing up thick white foam, been to vet they have no clue
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: elvis 14.8 years
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: he only does this after he wakes from a nap or sleeping. He will also get it up and swallow it back
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
While any age dog can cough and gag after contracting a respiratory infection such as infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough"), a 14.8 year old is more likely to cough and gag secondary to sterile bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/COPD), congestive heart failure, or neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. It's absolutely essential to have Elvis's chest X-rayed and if his vet is having difficulty evaluating the X-rays they should be sent to a specialist veterinary radiologist to be reviewed. Chest films can be challenging to interpret. His behavior being limited to post-waking suggests post-nasal drip or mucus accumulating in his trachea and large airways while asleep as might be seen with a sterile bronchitis. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has had x rays a month ago, and complete blood work yesterday with nothing showing up. Today he had a had time breathing and was breathing like he was having an anxiety attack. He is being treated for bronchitis. He looks like he is chocking when he is trying to get the phlegm out. His neck shrinks back into his shoulders looking like an accordion..
What did the X-rays show a month ago? If he's worsening, repeat films are indicated. How old and which breed is Elvis, please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
x rays showed nothing at all, no enlarged heart, no tumor, no esophagus problems. Elvis is purebred Rat Terrier 14.8 years old. He had something like this back in Oct. 15. Treated with prednazone (spelled wrong) Also tongue turns blue when he is trying to get phlegm up.
Something is being missed such as a dynamic collapse of a Rat terrier's windpipe. We can miss that collapse if we don't hyperflex and hyperextend the neck as part of a series of X-rays evaluating possible collapsing windpipe/trachea. Such a collapse can cause cyanosis (the blue) and hypoxia (lack of oxygen to his tissues).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, so what do I net to tell my Vet? This dog is suffering with this. Cost me 700 + pills and he is just not getting better. Any advice I can pass to them please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also how does the collapse happen?
You need to tell his vet what you've told me. You need repeat X-rays paying particular attention to Elvis's windpipe and Elvis needs to be positioned properly for these films. Feel free to share our conversation with his vet. Have the films reviewed by a specialist radiologist. Most of us have such a radiologist on retainer. There may be a fee for having this done. Many minatures are born with the propensity for collapsing windpipe. As they age, the windpipe weakens and is more prone to collapsing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is this treatable?
Yes, but not curable. Some combination of a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone, a bronchodilator such as terbutaline or albuterol, and a cough suppressant such as butorphanol or hydrocodone often suffices.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Great! Thanks so much! Will leave feedback :)
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.