Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My 5 yr border collie mix female occasionally (about twice

Customer Question

My 5 yr border collie mix female occasionally (about twice a year licks her vaginal area and it becomes raw and irritated. I don't know much about dog health but I think she's been menstrating although she was spayed when I adopted her - when she was 2 yrs old, so in 2012. if she wasn't spayed properly and has tissue left over is this something I need to take her to the vet for?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I can send you a picture!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. I have been a vet for 18 years. I have spayed many dogs as I was an SPCA vet for 3 years and did 25 surgeries a day.When we spay a dog we remove both the ovaries and the uterus. So she should not be having any kind of hormonal cycle.However, once in a cat there was some ovarian tissue on the ovarian stump after I removed the ovary. The owner reported the cat kept going back into heat. I did a blood test and the estrogen was high. So I had to go back in and surgically remove the tissues.You could have your vet do a blood test to see if her estrogen levels indicate any remaining ovarian tissue.
But most likely she has a urinary tract infection and her urinary tract hurts so she is licking her vulva.Or, she is having an allergic reaction.She could also have a bacterial or yeast infection.If she seems to be urinating more frequently or she licks her vulva after she urinates then she may have a urinary tract infection. That can be diagnosed with a urine test. If positive she could be treated with antibiotics.You can treat the area topically with hydrocortisone cream three times a day.You can also give her human benadryl for allergies. Since she is a border collie I am going to recommend you start with a lower dose than normal.1 mg of benadryl per each 2 pounds of dog evey 12 hours. For example a 50 pound dog would take 25 mg of benadryl every 12 hours.If she does well with that for a few days then increase the dose to 1 mg of benadryl per each pound of dog every 12 hours. That is thr normal dose. For example a 50 pound dog would take 50 mg of benadryl every 12 hours.If the over the counter treatment does not help after a few days then she may have a bacterial or fungal infection and she will need to see a vet for antibiotics or anti-fungal treatment.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?