Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My name is***** have a 1 year old Husky who keeps barking

Customer Question

my name is***** have a 1 year old Husky who keeps barking at me and jumping up and nipping me. I have tried walking away but he bites my bottom and jumps up at me from behind. I have also tried to shut him in a room for 5 minutes then let him out if he does it again put him back in but he still carries on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've just told you the issue, I'm not sure what else to say.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Hello Kirsty, thank you for using this site to help you.Can you tell me please how often this happens and do you feel it is just for attention?Is anyone else around you when the dog acts up or does it not matter if you are alone or have someone in the room with you?What type of training do you do with the dog?What commands does the dog know?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No its just with me.. He knows the command sit, down, wait and his recall is quite good (but being a husky he has his days)I dont feel its just fir attention, this morning i took him out for a walk for an hour and a half and then he came back and he started barking and biting/nipping
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for that information. Usually when we have a dog with a behaivor we do not want to see when ignoring it does not work then we teach the dog a behavior we want to see in its place or we give the dog a command that it knows, By doing this you will weed out unwanted behaviors. Other times we put a command to the behavior so then the dog will only do it on command. so if the dog is jumping up, you can teach it a command of Jump or Up then put it in a sit so it learns the difference between the two. Eventually the dog will only jump when asked to. You must reward the dog with something great for training out a bad behavior so you make it worth listening to. It also sounds like the dog is not trained enough if he only know a couple of commands so I would work on positive obedience training daily. Clicker training works well. I would train several times a day for short 10 minutes sessions so you seem a more consistent owner to the dog.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What sort of training do u suggest as other than this issue he is well behaved
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
I would suggest clicker training to take him through commands such as leave it which can also stop an unwanted behavior.Clicker training is based on a positive method of training. The clicker costs about 3 dollars in a pet store.I do have to run out for an appointment so I will direct you to a site to get you started. I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time Clicker training/positive method training/ print offhttp://www.clickerlessons.com/ video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm