Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My Name is ***** *****. and my mini dachschund just stopped

Customer Question

Hi My Name is ***** *****. and my mini dachschund just stopped being able to jump up on the couch and or lift her front paws to rest on the couch. She's 8 yo and 16 lbs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: unfortunately not a lot, she was able to do all Monday morning but nothing on Monday evening. Her stool was a little runny last night but nothing else has changed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. It will take me a few minutes to type up my response. I hope you can be patient.
With this breed the most common reason for a dog to stop being able to jump up would be a disc issue. Often it is the result of a sudden twist, or injury but with dachshunds disc degeneration is a common issue. You can read about the condition IVDD in dachshunds here: An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here: Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here. If you wished to wait a few days and try the aspirin, you would want to keep your girl inactive by crating or keeping her in a very small area so she doesn't move around. This will give the disc a chance to heal if it is an injury. However, if you use aspirin, your vet may not be able to use more appropriate medication when you take him in. Disc issues do not always show up on x-rays so a myelogram, ct scan or MRI are a better choice for imaging. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?