PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our pit my be having seizures at night. I thought that

Customer Question

our pit bull my be having seizures at night. I thought that she was just dreaming but the symptoms are very similar how do you know the difference?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gretta is 2 years four month old
JA: How old is Gretta Is 2 Years Four Month Old?
Customer: 28 months pld
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: she is 65 pounds and in otherwise good health
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Can you tell me in detail what you're seeing? 2) Any video of the episodes? 3) How long has this been happening?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This only happens when she is sleeping. We awake to her giving a low growl or whimpering or quietly barking. she looks like she is running on her side. her body is otherwise limp except her jaw is sometimes clenched. This has been going on for about a year and I always though she was just dreaming.
It sounds like you're describing dreaming. If you can catch a video in the future, this would certainly help your veterinarian in determining sleep from seizure activity. Most seizures of this nature may actually involve some "running" behavior but most dogs will either be silent or VERY vocal, they will clench their entire bodies and often seem exhausted after the seizure, as in the video below you may see teeth chomping or "chewing gum fits", etc. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rzIXhju_2cIf you are able to touch her and she responds by awakening and responding to your touch, this is likely sleep. With seizure activity, especially more aggressive seizure activity, dogs will not be capable of responding to their owners. This will only happen after the seizure is over. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy