Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

3 week old pug puppy with a hard tummy JA: Thanks. Can you

Customer Question

3 week old pug puppy with a hard tummy
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is bottle feed, but since yesterday first she was constipated and I got her to go a bit but her tummy is still hard
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today. Now constipation is quite common with botlle fed pups, so we do always need to tread with care. As long as she isn't sore or straining (signs we'd want her vet to give her an enema) , there are some steps you can use just now. To start, since this can often be due to their milk replacer being too concentrated, consider watering her feeds down with water or an electrolyte solution. As well, you can add a small dose of OTC cat hair ball treatment to her milk. This is a mild GI lubricant and can help ease the passage of hard feces. Finally if she is severely constipated, we can also add a few drops of Miralax or Lactulose to her milk. If you use these, do so with care since we don't want her aspirating any. And again if she shows those signs I noted or doesn't start passing stool with the above, then we'd want her vet to check her and give a gentle enema to clear her out.Please take care,Dr. B