Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My issue is my 9 yr old Corgi. He had a huge

Customer Question

My name is Jeri. My issue is my 9 yr old Corgi. He had a huge growth on his hind quarter that burst last week. All nlood, no puss, and no putrid smell. We've been cleaning it and applying neosporin, and it seemed to be scabbing 9ver. Then today, while cleansing the area, we found another hole. It wasn't draining, kust open
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: His appetite and energy seem fine, but the open wound looks terrible. The swelling of the area is about the size of an orange. Before the rupture it was more like a grapefruit
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today. How long has the lump been present?Are his gums pink or pale/white?Could you post a photo of the lump and hole for me to see? This can be done by using the paperclip icon on you text box or you can post on any other site and paste the link here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The lump had been there for months. But just recently had almost doubled in size. His gums are pink in color. The area is sensitive, but he allows us to clean without a fuss. On the larger hole, the whole top is crusted over in almost a raised scab, but it still leaks blood if any pressure us applied.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, Jeri.Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about this growth. Especially since the current signs of rupturing and holes are actually side effects of this mass reaching a critical point. Specifically, we'd be worried about it doing so in 2 ways. First, as I am sure you can appreciate, skin can only be stretched so far. Therefore, when we have long term masses that keep growing, we will see them stretch the skin over them until it becomes weak and fragile. Once it reaches this state, we can see ruptures as you did and blood would be expected since its not an abscess causing the breech but instead tissue. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** new hole, I am concerned that since this mass has grown so rapidly recently that we have a situation where the mass is outgrowing its blood supply. When this happens portions of the growth die off and this can leave holes as you have seen. Since again its not being caused by infection, we don't see any pus and since its almost like a sink hole (with tissue collapsing in) there doesn't tend to be any free blood or fluid to be passed as in the rupture. In this case, this is quite serious and both lesions will struggle to heal. Therefore, ideally, we'd want to have his vet debulk and remove as much of this mass as possible so that we can close the area with healthy skin and avoid these two lesions festering. Otherwise, if that isn't an option, they will likely need to be bandaged carefully (using chlorohexidine flushes, Intracyte gel to help the tissues close, systemic antibiotics to prevent infection, etc) to promote healing. Though in regards ***** ***** latter, should the mass grow any more, we would have serious risk of further compromised areas like these arising and opening a door into the tissue that would be at risk of bacterial colonization and secondary infection. Overall, I am very worried about your lad with this mass. It is reaching a critical point and appears to be breeching the skin as well as breaking down itself in the wake of its recent growth. While I am glad its not infected, this is a major risk factor. As well, we could see this struggle to heal and even further holes appear. Therefore, we'd really want to get his local vet involved and see if there I any chance this can be at least removed in part to reduce its size so that we can close his skin and get these serious side effects healed for him. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )