Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Here is my basic question: a typical urine and bloodwork

Customer Question

Hello, here is my basic question: a typical urine and bloodwork panel, would it include testing for worms? My dog had an unexplained fever - which we still haven't figured out. The panel showed no problems, no kidney infection, etc. He doesn't have diarrhea or vomitting. He's eating normally, but is barely moving. He is 9 or 10 and is a basset mix, so he has some hip dysplasia issues which may explain the not moving, but I just wondered if a specific test for worms is needed.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Hmm, no. They did a full panel, I just didn't know if it would have included worm tests.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi, JaCustomer. In short, no. Urine checks urine, blood work checks blood and you'd need a fecal exam to check for worms (which is where they're most commonly located). Now, if you had a dog with heart worms, microfilaria is often present in the blood and something (I feel) all professionals should check for when drawing blood even if not checking for heart worms. But I think that may be outside of the scope of your question. Does this dog have any history of ticks? Were x-rays performed?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no x -rays yet. no hx of tics. they checked for that, too
It sounds like x-rays might be your next step since everything else is normal. If he does have hip or joint issues, which may be causing the pain, that much inflammation may be to blame for the fever. When this happens, it's usually a lower grade fever. Do they have him on any pain meds yet?