PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog had to be put down I did not want to but vet said for

Customer Question

my dog had to be put down I did not want to but vet said for best she had liver desease for 2 years she was 16 had not eaten 3 days not drunk day halve runney brown black poo feel bad that she had to be put down could she have been saved
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: sheba
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sheba?
Customer: back legs week falls over a lot some times dose not know where she is
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. I'm so very sorry to hear about Sheba. How can we best help you today?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my vet said its best to put sheba to sleep just need to know if i made the right move by puting her down
Thank you for your reply. Liver disease can make an animal feel extremely poor. As detailed by the fact that your girl had battled this disease for 2 years, had avoided consuming food or water for 3 days, had tarry stool, etc. she was likely in end-stage renal failure. The kindest thing, as you chose, was to allow her a respectable, kind passing. There is often a lot of guilt that goes along with ending a pet's life prematurely, but you must focus on what is gained with euthanasia and not what is lost. Death can be slow and uncomfortable for many animals, so for their owner to take the opportunity to allow them a peaceful, pain-free passing this conveys the deepest love for a companion that we can give them. I'm very sorry for your loss, but it does sound like you have made the right decision in not only euthanizing her but in doing so at the time that you did. Euthanasia is a procedure of compassion and that's precisely what was given to her. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.