Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is itching and has red on his behind under the tail

Customer Question

My dog is itching and has red on his behind under the tail and on the back leg. He is chewing on his backleg. I have given him benedryl. Can I put Solarcaine on the parts that are red and getting raw?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound on the foot. He gets this way every spring from allergies
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jazz 15 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jazz?
Customer: Has small tumor on side
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How can I make him more comfortable and get him through this allergy season?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he had these signs?What dose and how often do you give the Benadryl?How much does Jazz weigh?Can you confirm that his anal glands aren't bothering him just now?Also, any diet changes in the past 6 weeks?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Itching started about two weeks ago. He weighs 32 lbs. I give him 25mg if benedyl twice a day. Not sure how to answer the anal glands question
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I typically take Jazz to the vet this time of year to get Predisone and antibiotic. I broke my foot this weekend and am trying to find a way to treat at home since I am not very mobile right now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,First, I would note that since he is chewing on his back leg and is red under his tail, it'd be ideal to have his vet or local groomer check and express his anal glands. This is because anal gland inflammation, blockage or infection can present in the same manner as what you have described. Otherwise, if we can rule that out and are facing allergies, we do have a few options. First, since you have been giving a very low dose of Benadryl, its worth increasing that. For a 32lb dog, we can use up to 64mg every 8 hours. So, that would be advisable as the next step for Jazz.Otherwise, we could also try an alternative antihistamine as some work better for some individuals. Other options would be Loratidine (15mg once daily) or Chlorpheniramine (4-8 mg every 8 hours). Or once you do see his vet, steroids are an option but if he does suffer with this often then Atopica or Apoquel may be better long term options (since they don't have the same side effects of the steroids).Finally, in regards ***** ***** Solarcaine, this should not be used with him. Instead, if we wanted to add a safe topical treatment (though he needs an ecollar or shorts put on if he can lick the area), we can apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to those red/inflamed areas. And this is a better options since it doesn't just numb the itch but reduces inflammation/redness.Overall, we cannot use Solarcaine on Jazz. Though we can certainly adjust that Benadryl dose and use hydrocortisone to soothe this for him and get him through allergy season.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet