Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dr. Debbie, As we recently changed our dog,Yuki to a

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Debbie,
As we recently changed our dog,Yuki to a kidney food diet, lower in protein, higher in Omega.
She doesn't like the food and is always refusing wanting to eat our human food. Usually, lots of energy.
Today she had a slight slip as she was jumping into the back of our hatchback. She was fine.
We had a meeting in our house, left her for 2 hours or so with our other dog. When we let her out, she was very lethargic and did not want to eat.
My wife made her sweet potato and rice in chicken stock.usually loves it. Did not jump to eat, but eventually ate3 oz. then still refused her regular kidney diet food.
Few hours later she threw up, vomitted.
Currently, temperature of 37.3 Celsius, cold paws and lethargic. We gave her a teaspoon of honey in case of low blood sugar. She did drink some water.
We have a veterinary appointment for her annual check up tomorrow by chance.
Do you think we should visit animal emergency assistance?
Myron and Maki ( Yuki's parents)
By the way she is 12 yrs old and about 50 lbs. mixed shepard terrier
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.What color are her gums?If you press into her abdomen from both sides at the same time, is she painful or uncomfortable?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Her gums are a bit pale. Whitish, pink.Pressed her abdomen. No response, still lethargic.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the information. I would recommend getting her seen by the emergency vet tonight. Her body temperature is not that cold, but the cold feet and more pale color to the gums suggests that she is shunting blood away from her extremeties to try to protect more vital organs. That is called shock. Her condition may not be life threatening severe at this point, but from your description, it concerns me enough to have her seen tonight in case her condition worsens. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have her a teaspoon of honey. She licked it herself. Which single new. Still refused any food, even apple slices, which she normally eats.
Her paws have become slightly warmer.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
Her body may be pushing blood back out to her extremities. That may be a good sign, but that is still too soon to say. Her condition still does raise enough concern. If her gums are looking pink, I would feel a little better, but still concerned that her condition got to that point in the first place. Even if due to low blood sugar, the honey may raise it, but it can also raise it high enough to spike a big insulin surge and cause a rebound hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). It is called the Somogyi Effect. It she will eat a lower sugar, higher fiber food, it may help to balance that out. Let me know if you have further questions. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.