Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My shitzue eyehas turned blue and I am sure she can not see

Customer Question

my shitzue eyehas turned blue and I am sure she can not see out of it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what is causing the eye to be blue the other eye has a spot of blue in it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Usually when a dog gets cloudiness of the eye, it will appear to be blue. Various conditions can cause a dog's eye to appear blue such as glaucoma or Anterior Uveitis or a corneal ulcer or cataracts. Symptoms of Glaucoma include conjunctivitis (red eye), discharge from the eye, light sensitivity, possible swollen eye. As the condition worsens and pressure increases, the pupil can dilate and the cornea becomes cloudy. It is important to diagnose this early to save the dog’s sight in the eye. Depending upon the underlying cause for the Glaucoma, the other eye could also be at danger as well. Treatment depends upon identifying the underlying cause for the increased pressure in the eye. You can read more about this here; Symptoms of Anterior Uveitis are similar and include redness, tearing, squinting in bright light, small or uneven pupil, cloudy appearance to the eye and a unevenly colored iris. Treatment for this condition may be topical or oral medication depending on the cause. You can read more about this here: A corneal ulcer may also be to blame and may be caused by injury, eyelashes scratching the eye and has similar symptoms to those of glaucoma and anterior uveitis. The third eyelid frequently covers the eye so sometimes the eye is not able to be seen. The blue dot on the other eye might be an ulcer. You can read about this here: You can read up on Cataracts here: The following site goes over reasons for cloudiness of the eye. As you have seen, this could be an emergency situation depending on the severity of the condition. However, some cloudiness as a dog ages is normal and called nuclear sclerosis. Cholesterol or triglyceride deposits can also cause cloudiness as well. .. I would have my dog seen as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the eye. Due to the fact that the breed has shallow eye sockets, Shih Tzus are prone to eye problems such as not being able to close their eyelid over the cornea of the eye (lagophthalmos ). Due to this problem they have the tendency to develop an inflammation of the cornea (Keratitis) which can become ulcerative in its severest form. This can lead to scaring that can decrease vision. In addition, due to they way the eye socket is, the eyelid can clamp behind the eyeball cutting off oxygen to the retina which can lead to blindness if not treated immediately. This is called proptosis. They also can have problems with dry eye and their eyelashes irritating the eyeball and possibly causing chronic corneal irritation.. These conditions are Distichiasis and Ectopic Cilia. They also can have hereditary cataract or juvenile cataracts and PRA (progressive renal atrophy) which leads to blindness. So her having an eye issue is not surprising. I'd get her scheduled for a vet visit to see if perhaps her eyesight in at least on of the eyes can be saved. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.