PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My boxer had an ear inf. treated with antibiotic ointment.

Customer Question

My boxer had an ear inf. treated with antibiotic ointment. On recheck it turned out the dog now has 2 ruptured eardrums. On silver sulfadiazine 1% for 2 1/2 weeks. Ears are beet red and she cries when I put the drops in her ears. Appt. with vet in 4 days. Should I wait that long or bring her in sooner. She still can't hear me when I talk to her. Will hearing be restored after treatment?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
If her ear drums have both ruptured, she's going to have some loss of hearing. However, studies have shown that dogs and cats who have majoring hearing disruptions can still detect sounds, although they may be unclear on what is said (for example, a dog may hear you say something but not understand "sit" was what was said).Since her ears are beet red, I would take her back in for a recheck sooner than 4 more days out and, at very least, request that she have NSAIDs and/or pain medication prescribed. She should be responding well to treatment by this point and since she's not may need different meds prescribed.If this is her 2nd trial with antibiotic ointments, I would talk to your doctor about doing a culture of her ear exudate. We would ideally have done this before antibiotics were started, but it may still be worth performing to get a list of antibiotics which should work against the bacterial cultures inside of her ears. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?
If you have other questions I can help you with today, please let me know. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.