Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 11yr old Chocolate lab has problems getting up from time

Customer Question

My 11yr old Chocolate lab has problems getting up from time to time. BUT once he's up, a few seconds later he seems to do okay.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He's 11, has no other issues. he's a LARGE lab, 136 lbs. the vet said he MAY be 10 lbs overweight. he's just very large boned. I thought maybe he favored his right leg but he seems to switch off back and forth. when he sits it's difficult so he sits like "eore" from winnie the pooh (I know poor example but true) I have given him Glucosimine/condroitin for 2 weeks and it MAY have made a difference a few day but this is sporatic to now constant. it's been going on for three months now..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion? 1) Have any hip x-rays been taken? 2) Are you seeing any swelling in his limbs? 3) Is he on any medication to help his hips aside from the glucosamine?