PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 8lb Chihuahua is very sensitive suddenly like picking him

Customer Question

My 8lb Chihuahua is very sensitive suddenly like picking him up he screams or any pressure on his sides, or back or rear. He got a booster shot yesterday for Lyme and lepto it's his second time getting the shot but first time reacting to any kind of shots this started last night several hours after the shot. Other than not wanting anyone to pick him up he seems okay if not a little upset and less hyper. My vet is closed today and I have him laying down in the bed room with blankets. Is there anything I should do besides watch him? My older Chihuahua is on rimadyl for his back, should I give him one of my other dogs pills? Would it help his soreness?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
It sounds like it is, indeed, due to soreness that he's tender. I would make sure to address this with your vet the next time he needs to receive vaccines as they can pre-medicate him with medication to prevent this tenderness. Assuming he is not on any other medications, he can take 1/2 tablet of a 25mg Rimadyl once daily for 3 days. If he's not markedly better by Monday, I would schedule a recheck with your vet. If he's profoundly worse by tomorrow, he needs to go to the ER. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If so, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.