Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog is shaking that is how i know she has pain. she has

Customer Question

hi my dog is shaking that is how i know she has pain. she has promblems with ear infection order in left ear feeels a little warm i cleaned with zymox she stop shaking is there anything else i can do for her i heard benidreral can be used for dogs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: benideril the med. we use for allergy can calm her some
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear your girl has you worried. I would be happy to help. If you think she may have an ear infection I would use the Zymox 2-3 times per day. Oral Benadryl can be used at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. This may help calm her down and will help with any itching in the ear but will not reduce any pain. If you find that the Benadryl alone is not working and she is not on any medications, having any vomiting or diarrhea and is eating normally you could try regular aspirin. This is dosed at 5mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. Give with food to prevent stomach upset. This can be given in addition to the Benadryl. If the problem continues I would have her seen by your vet on Monday. I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is Benadryl going to make sleepy I just don't want to be concerned on other side effects that medication is giving her and I'm thinking it's the earache
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now she's not shaking she's laying down. I saw her shake her head once or twice. Is Benadryl still recommended and how do I know she has a fever
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
It can make her a little sleepy but that would be more common with a higher dose. Yes I would still try the Benadryl because along with pain the ear is often itchy if there is any type of infection. If she is resting now and does not seem bothered you could hold off on any medications and see if just cleaning her ear did the trick. If you are concerned that she may have a fever you can take a rectal temp using a regular thermometer. Nor temp for a dog is 100.5-102.5 anything higher then 103.5 and she should be seen by a vet right away.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I apologize I can not go in and edit my response. It should read normal temp is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog is a cockapoo ear infections are common with her especially now that she's getting older how can I prevent this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh it is that regular Benadryl or child Benadryl
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
In some cases chronic ear infections are due to allergies mainly food. However, this is a very common problem with cockers. Try to pin the ears back at least once a day for 20 minutes to allow air to flow through. If she has hair in her ears like a poodle keep this plucked. Dry warm areas are a breeding ground for bacteria and fungal infections. The following site has a great homemade ear cleaner recipe that we actually give out at our clinic for Cocker owners. LINK You can use either regular or childrens they are both the same medication just different strengths. Normal Benadryl is 25mgs per pill and childrens liquid is 12.5mgs per teaspoon