PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My English bulldog has been thrrowing up all night and half

Customer Question

My English bulldog has been thrrowing up all night and half day , it loOKs like foam and then sometimes it is yellow, he hasn't went to the bathroom or drank any water all day. He seems to be sleeping a lot but when he is awake he is throwing up ( dry heaving as well). I don't know what could be causing this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Gina. Thanks for your question.1) When was the Zofran given?2) How long after the dose did you see vomiting? 3) Any change in diet? human food? new treats? Chewing up of toys? 4) No diarrhea or blood in stool/vomit?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was given around 8 pm last night , but I think he just threw it right back up. He hadid a piece of chicken last night that he had snuck. No diarrhea or blood in either.
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We just recently took him to the vet for a cat scratch to the eye. They gave us some medicated drops but I don't know if the two are related.
I doubt the two are connected. It's more likely that the piece of chicken that he snuck is the cause of the upset. Sometimes these types of ingestions cause no problem at all, but sometimes they really upset their system. And EB's tend to be much more sensitive to changes in their diet than other breeds, so the GI upset with Zeus is not too much of a surprise. I would take a few measures here. If they don't help, you're probably going to be headed to the vet to have some injectable medications given to help calm the GI upset (this way he cannot vomit them back up). 1) Withhold food and water for 2 hours. 2) After 2 hours, administer famotidine (see below). 3) 2 hours following the famotidine, start a bland diet (see below). The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. Give small amounts of water mixed into the mush with each feeding and increase the amounts by a few tablespoons of water every time you feed. If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours. It's possible diarrhea may be right around the corner, too, so the bland diet should help to solidify that fairly quickly. If not, a prescription antibiotic like flagyl should help quickly. Once you're 2-3 days out from any symptoms, you can slowly switch him back to his regular diet. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?
If you need additional information or have other questions, just let me know. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.