Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Dr Gary, Not sure what's wrong with my 4.5 lb Yorkie.

Customer Question

Hi Dr Gary,
Not sure what's wrong with my 4.5 lb Yorkie. She's usually fine but tonight she is gagging a lot, I heard her cough once or twice and her tummy is hot (more than usual) and gurgling. I did give her a piece of a tums but hasn't helped much. She sleeps with me every night. I'm a little concerned that she either ate something she shouldn't have of is just sick. Her ears are are Warner too. Nose is wet but warm not cold. Also, her eyes usually run a little but tonight dry. Do I need to take her to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hi, Katrina. It looks like Dr. Gary is not currently available. Would you like my help this evening or would you like to wait for him to sign on in the future?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm happy to take your response
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you going to answer?
Her symptoms suggest that she's likely battling a digestive upset. If you are willing and able to go to the ER this evening, she would likely appreciate having her symptoms tended to quickly.If you wish to wait until morning to see your regular vet, you can go ahead and give her a dose of pepcid to help settle the gagging down and hopefully make her more comfortable. Famotidine, which is pepcid, can be given at 0.5mg per pound. If she's around 5#, she will get 2.5mg (for example). This should begin to work in about 2 hours of time.
If she is still symptomatic tomorrow morning, an exam would be the best plan. They will most certainly want to check her temperature and see if there's a reason for her abdomen feeling so warm. As well, they can give injectable medications which can work faster than oral medications. Depending on what they find on exam, they may also wish to perform some lab work or x-rays to be sure that she has not eaten something she shouldn't have eaten.