PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He threw up, has been shaking, and standing weird with his

Customer Question

he threw up, has been shaking, and standing weird with his hind quarters, has refused to be on the bed.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no some chicken, and his typical wet food
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: a year 2 days from now
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Boris
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boris?
Customer: he was just there today due to him ithcing his scabs from when he was neutered
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) What breed of dog is Boris? 2) When was his last normal meal? 3) Any picture to share of the weird stance with his hind quarters?4) Is he refusing to jump onto the bed or refusing to stay on the bed when placed there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is a pug, his last meal was dinner, his wet food. he is asleep now so i cant , but it was as if it was mid hump, he is refusing to stay on the bed, but i suspect that is because he puked on it earlier.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he just went to the vet today because he was itching his scabs from when he was neutered. We were given an antiseptic topical spray.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he is under a year old sunday.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I paid twice, and before seeing you had answered thought the window for chatting was gone so opened a claim to cancel. Which payment was this, 15$ or 20$?
If he's been tending toward licking or chewing at the scabs, if you applied the antiseptic spray, it may have caused enough nausea for vomiting to occur. It may also produce a sensation that feels odd to him, causing him to hold his body in a weird position. If he vomits again before morning, I would look to using an e-collar like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU and starting him on a bland diet with famotidine to keep his stomach calm. This should help reduce the incidence of vomiting. Here are the instructions: The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined again and longer acting medications used for nausea. If the odd posture continues, I would also be suspecting that his back may be bothering him. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?
At the end of our dialogue, I will contact customer service so they can be sure you aren't charged twice for a single chat.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes its possible thats what it was. We are going to the vet again at 8am. I wanted to see if anything could be done tonight.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
re reading what you wrote
I'd start the famotidine this evening and a bland diet, if he awakes before morning. That should help to calm his stomach and prevent more vomiting.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If sold at a pharmacy i can get it, He wont be eating till after the vet at the earliest.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
nearly 1 am here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will go with the recipe you gave when he does eat tomorrow. And see if I can get some famotadine this evening.
Any grocery store will have it. This medication is regular pepcid.
You'll be able to find it in any section at the store that has benadryl, nasal sprays, cough syrup, etc.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good it be vertebre related. He plays pretty rough with bigger dogs. He gets mowed over sometimes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could it be
Yes, and this is why I mentioned a back problem in my previous post. That's a concern when he's standing in such an odd position. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
If that is the case, famotidine will not help back pain so you will know quickly if that's the issue. Most dogs with back pain have trouble getting comfortable, so the fact that he's asleep right now is a good sign.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do I do if its vertebre related. Dog chiropractor?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok good.
You'll see your regular vet to start. They will likely want him to take a few days worth of dog-safe NSAIDs and pain medication, perhaps also some muscle relaxers.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So he is asleep soundly, My fiance just went to go get the stuff for when he awakes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there anything I should say to the vet that they may not come to themselves?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, we are going tomorrow
I would absolutely mention the symptoms you're seeing, during an exam. It may save you the trouble, and him the pain, of having to wait a few days and then return for another exam. Might be cheaper, too.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh yes i was going to utilize complete transparency. I think its an agitated stomach, or am hoping. As you said him sleeping as he is is a good sign.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
His puke was hard btw.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if that means anything.
Yes, it is. I'm hopeful for just a stomach upset, as well. Back problems tend to present themselves in older dogs and since he's a very young adult dog, I would expect it to be quite unlikely that he'd have a back issue. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
by hard I mean not wet
I knew what you meant. It just means he had very little liquid on his stomach.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That makes sense, well he has plenty of water available to him. And its not the water he drinks bottled. Thank you for the chat. I gave you 5 stars. Please let me know which payment I dispute, or If I dispute them both and do a third to you if neither of them was to you.
I will go ahead and contact customer service for you. They will know which payments came through and make sure you weren't charged necessarily. When I do this, it will lock the chat. Is there anything else I can help you with this evening beforehand?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No thank you this has been very helpful. I will take what you said to action and consult with the vet tomorrow. If his symptoms are gone by the AM would you still advocate going to the vet? Or just chalk it up to a bad stomach ache?
If he's symptom-free by morning (and no longer holding his body in a weird position), I would just monitor for changes. If he's the same or worse, I'd head off to the vet's office. Contacting customer service now. It was my pleasure helping you this evening. When you are ready, you can use the star system at the top of the page to rate the service you received here this evening. Best of luck with your boy!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** what he is. Take care.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gave 5 stars.