Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 65 lb 12 yr old pitbull was hit while a child

Customer Question

***** *****, my 65 lb 12 yr old pitbull was hit while a child was swinging his bat to hit a tennis ball. My dog fell down n might have had a seizure. He is walking around even acting like he wants to play. What are the concerns
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Should I just watch him or do you recommend going to the pet ER?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Your dog may have gotten a concussion. Signs of a concussion are vomiting, lethargy, mental dullness, difficulty walking or breathing, seizures and dialated pupils. A dog with a concussion should be seen by a vet immediately. If you see bleeding from the eyes, ears or nose, your dog should also be seen by your Vet. Here is a site with information on head trauma. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/head-trauma-in-dogs/page1.aspx Since you believe he had a seizure, I would err on the side of caution and have him seen. While he would likely have additional symptoms, depending on how long aro this happened, you may see them later. If he was my dog, I'd go ahead and have him seen. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.