Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

40 lb dog ate 3 -4 red grapes JA: IÂ'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question

40 lb dog ate 3 -4 red grapes
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 5 yrs boykin spaniel "daisy"
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boykin?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.
Please don't give it a second thought. Dogs need to ingest ~0.55 grapes per pound of body weight (~ 22 grapes for Daisy) before grape toxicity is possible. This is an idiosyncratic (peculiar) poisoning; in other words, most dogs can eat grapes to their heart's content without harm. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all is well - daisy never had any reaction at all - thanks for your quick response.George
You're welcome, George. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.