Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He has been vomiting and diarreha all day... no food intake

Customer Question

He has been vomiting and diarreha all day... no food intake but has been drinking water. No blood in stool or vomit. Very lethargic but still seems interested and trying to play.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He just for the forst time went to the door twice to ask to use the bathroom.. came back in and grabbed a toy and played fetch a little. A little slow but still seems like he wants to play
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gave him a little pepto and tried to make sure he drank AS MUCH WATER AS POSSIBLE. Also he drank a little gatorade. I thought it would help with his electolytes
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. There are a couple things you can give to help with the vomiting and diarrhea at home. Here is how I typically manage these guys, as it's something we see very commonly.1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal.I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?