Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My 14 year old dachshund is breathing really rapidly

Customer Question

Hello, my 14 year old dachshund is breathing really rapidly all of the sudden.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She started this morning according to another person in the house, but it is the first time I've noticed it. She is not the most active dog and is obviously in the later stages of her life. She is on phenobarbital for seizures, but other than that, she has been acting normally although sleeping a lot more over the past few months.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Many different things can cause constant panting. Heavy panting can be caused by heart problems, lung problems, fever, or bronchitis. You can read about this here: Dogs pant for various reasons. They pant to cool down, but they also pant when they are under stress, in pain, or afraid. There can also be medical causes such as neurological problems, respiratory disorders, and Heart problems such as heartworm, anemia, and fever. If your dog is panting but has no other symptoms, keep a watch on her. If it still seems excessive after a day or so, or if she develops more symptoms, I'd schedule an appointment with your Vet. Dachshunds do tend to have disc issues so if she is no longer jumping or avoiding stairs, then a disc issue may be present. Since she does have seizures, I'd be inclined to have her seen sooner to rule out organ failure as that can also contribute to seizure activity. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.