Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 9 yr old chihuahua wont come out of his crate except to

Customer Question

My 9 yr old chihuahua wont come out of his crate except to drink water and potty outside. He wont est so weve been bribing with boiled chicken, and he will eat little bits of that. He has a bad heart, and has had two heart related attacks for which he is on meds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pablo
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He wont accept any affection whatsoever. All of this behavior is only about two weeks old.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Will he drink? Can he keep it down?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?What medications is he on for his heart?