PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 11 year old lab mix was in perfect physical health " perceived

Customer Question

My 11 year old lab mix was in perfect physical health " perceived by me " three weeks ago he started limping on his front right paw. We took him to our local vet and they did blood work and X-rays and think he has a bone infection in his neck $400 dollars antibiotics alone later his white blood cell count has doubled. Now here is the twist I think they are not taking into account. About six months ago he had an anal gland that would not drain. We decided not to remove it and just treat it with antibiotics. He seemed fine so he took him off the antibiotics. But he has been very flatulent and even more so now. My thought is that she went straight for the problem with the lamp , did x-rays on the neck just prescribed more antibiotics and anti-inflammatory and totally disregarded the anal problem? Could the impacted anal gland created a yeast infection gassing off and the infection then introducing a fungal feces infection to the bloodstream? I would still if I thought it a viable option have the Gland removed and put him on an antifungal medication for two months whatever the cost if it could stop him from dying this way. I can except old age but not neglect not neglect on my part and our Vet has zero answers for us?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hi, Justin. Thanks for your question. First things first, it doesn't sound at all like you've neglected his care. Anal gland issues and even bone infections are simply things that happen in older dogs. It can plaque those with both the best and the worst care. I think you have brought to light a valid concern with the previous anal gland problem. That said, if the infection were present in the anal gland, it should have responded to antibiotics not only the first time, but also the second time. It's also very uncommon for dogs to have an impacted anal gland without symptoms (we typically see licking, scooting, sensitivity, etc). That is, more than just flatulence. I suspect the flatulence may be from bacterial culture shifts in the intestines due to antibiotic use (this is fairly common). I may not have completely understood your question about the fungal infection, but it would be unlikely that it would cause a bone-based problem in the neck. Typically we see bacteria causing this and not fungus. If you have reached a point where your vet does not have any answers for your, it may be time to request to be referred to a specialist. There are a lot of things that can plague older dogs, everything from tick borne diseases to bone infections to spinal tumors and so forth. He is an older gentleman, so it would be wise to expect that major illness like this could be part of his end-of-life descent. However, if he's still doing well at home aside from the limping, the medication regimen is likely doing more for him than it seems. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.