Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He acts like back feet are itching bucks his feet back to scratch

Customer Question

He acts like back feet are itching bucks his feet back to scratch them and chews them and some back toe nails falling off.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buster, 15 years
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He is on comfortis and thyroid medication and apaquel for allergys
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
If you're seeing toe nail loss, onychomycosis (fungal claw infection), bacterial infection of the claws, and a condition called symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy - which is thought to be immune-mediated - need to be considered. The fungal and bacterial infections should be important differential diagnoses because we're seeing these infections due to immune suppression secondary to Apoquel but also due to hypothyroidism and allergies as you've mentioned Buster suffers from, plus hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's disease), autoimmune disorders, and cancers. Buster's vet will need to perform a cytology (microscopic exam of exudates from a claw or claw fold) and fungal culture of nail shavings in order to identify an infectious agent. If infection can be ruled out, autoimmune skin disease and onychodystrophy become the most important differential diagnoses. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?