PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My name is ***** *****. I have 2 chocolate labs and the male

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****. I have 2 chocolate labs and the male is 1 year old and he suffers from what I describe as a yeasty back. He gets this flakeyness in the thickest hair on his back and his neck.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've had him tested for food and environmental allergies. He allergic to seems most of the starches and eggs. I changed his food and he did well for several months so I thought I had a handle on it, but once it got warm out, there it was on his back again. Last night he apparently scratched his neck while in his crate and it was bleeding
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer. Thanks for your question. Can you give me some additional info? 1) What food is he currently eating? 2) Is he on any medications at all for his allergies?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he eats Hi-Tek Naturals
no meds at this time.
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
It sounds like you are battling seasonal allergies, although there may also be a food component here. If the Hi-Tek has worked for him long-term, there's no reason to believe that it's not still working and the environmental changes that happen through the seasons may be contributing. There are a few things that you can try to improve his comfort, relieve the scratching and hopefully the yeasty coat, as well. 1) Try antihistamines. My favorite for labs is Zyrtec. This one works especially well on larger dogs. The dosing information is here: Talk to your vet about using Atopica or Apoquel. For seasonal allergies, these are both vastly better than antihistamines if the Zyrtec does not work. 3) Use the testing panel to do a consult with and have them formulate a food that is more sensitive to his needs. For dogs who are allergic to many commercial items, it's often a requirement that they have a homemade diet so you can be sure no allergens go into the making of it. 4) He's a little young for this condition, but should be tested for thyroid concerns. This is very common in labs and can lead to the yeasty, greasy feeling on a dog's coat. We typically see this in dogs 3 years and older, but some dogs just don't read the book and wind up being afflicted earlier in life. If there are other questions I can answer for you, please let me know. Hopefully these suggestions will get you on your way to giving him relief. The Zyrtec can be purchased OTC at any grocery store and should give him relief within the first 12 hours following dosing. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Please let me know if I can help you further.